Saturday, July 7, 2012

My Personal Challenge
Day 5-


                   What  began as an organized method of trimming away unnecessary items from my home, has taken on a deeper meaning.  I am not even a full week into my challenge, and I have learned a lot about myself.  I have found that, although I am generally a very giving person, there are some areas in which I need to improve upon.  The funny thing is, I can let go more freely of the larger and/or more "valuable" things than I can the stuff that no one else would probably want.  I have a little bit of the "depression mentality" I guess.  I look at some things and think:  "I might need that for a future project", "I could never re-buy that item for what I paid for it" or "someone else might need it".
         
                Today I worked on my craft closet downstairs.  I figured that It might be a hard area for me, just as my sewing/craft room was.  Both of these areas still need quite a bit of purging, but I believe that it will be easier if I move to another room tomorrow and revisit these two "zones" in a few days.

                 Despite the little challenges that I have faced so far, I love how it feels to let go of stuff.  We can become so cluttered with things that our stuff, in a sense, "runs" us.  As a friend once told me, "everything that we own, takes time-we are either cleaning it, moving it or repairing it".  For me, that is a perfect reason to simplify.  Time then opens up for those things that truly matter, like spending time with those you love.

                  So I "boogie" on....




4 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job! The hardest thing for me to release was unfinished knitting and other craft projects (unfinished because I either was not that thrilled about the materials or not that happy with the project itself for whatever reason). But once I did release them -- it felt so good not to have all this "stuff" reproaching me and making me feel guilty every time I walked in the room! Actually once you get in the groove of releasing things it's hard to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree with the guilt thing. When it's out of sight, it will be out of mind :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great. I just can't manage to get myself in gear to de-clutter everyday. Keep it up I'll catch up by summers end

    ReplyDelete