Thought for the Day

Thought for the Day-
August 19, 2020
Uncontrollable events in our lives often come without warning. We don’t get a notice in the mail or a reminder on our phone. How we handle such situations depends impart on the magnitude of the uncertainty as well as our faith, character and personality. When the unexpected arrives, we need to remember that nothing takes our God by surprise. Possessing a patient spirit, know that our heavenly Father is victorious at all times, will help us to “let go and let God”.
Have a blessed day!
Cathy

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Up-cycled Art Cards~


This past weekend I attended one of my favorite festivals, the Cooper Young Festival.  I am always interested in seeing what local artists are creating.  Each year, in addition to whatever purchases I make, I manage to take home a handful of business cards.  Although I may not leave with an artist's piece, having their information allows me to visit their sites so I can get a full picture of their work as well as learn about future venues that they are planning.


Typically, after going to an artist's page and thoroughly enjoying my "at home" art viewing, I put the business cards in my recycling bin. It always makes me feel a little strange. After all, these folks spent good money on these portable advertising units.  

Since the graphics are typically pretty nice, 
I decided to try something different this year.  I asked an art buddy of mine if she had ever heard of anyone altering business cards.  She told me to "Google" it.  Well, there just was not much out there. So I decided to "do my own thing".  I would loved to have shown you the before shots of each business card, but I felt that might not be appropriate.  Although most artists might enjoy the free advertising, many might not enjoy seeing their "original" graphics manipulated. 


To alter each business card I began by lightly sanding the entire surface of the card with  very fine sandpaper, hitting the corners a little heavier.  I also rubbed harder on personal information like phone numbers and addresses. 
*if you recognize one of your cards in this collection, please know that none will be sold for profit.  



I then took some rubber stamps and StazOn ink and stamped words and various images to create
a pleasing arrangement of patterns and colors. 






When I was satisfied with how things looked, I took a small sea sponge and rubbed it through my Stampin' Up! creamy caramel water-based dye ink. I ran my inked up sponge around the edges of the cards to give them an aged feel.  For some cards, I rubbed the sponge across the entire surface of the card.




My husband, who witnessed this little project, said that he was glad that I was 
"so easily entertained".

I told him that it was more fun than a 
"Barrel of Monkeys".

No comments:

Post a Comment