Thought for the Day

Thought for the Day-
August 19, 2020
Uncontrollable events in our lives often come without warning. We don’t get a notice in the mail or a reminder on our phone. How we handle such situations depends impart on the magnitude of the uncertainty as well as our faith, character and personality. When the unexpected arrives, we need to remember that nothing takes our God by surprise. Possessing a patient spirit, know that our heavenly Father is victorious at all times, will help us to “let go and let God”.
Have a blessed day!
Cathy

Monday, January 23, 2012

Up-cycled Scarf
        Scarves are about the only thing that I like about winter (well, I do like the fact that my hair does not frizz and I get to wear all my cute boots). Whether scarves are store bought or hand-made, knit, sewn, woven or crocheted; they can be the greatest accessory for an outfit.
I made the following scarf out of old sweaters. I started with sweaters that were 100 percent wool.  I put them through the washer and dryer 3-4 times until they shrank a considerable amount. I then cut 10 rectangle pieces, measuring 5 1/2” by 7”, from the shrunken sweaters.  




        I laid the cut pieces out in pattern that I desired and then hand-stitched them together, end to end, using a blanket stitch.  I used brightly colored embroidery floss (full thickness of the thread).





       One of my sweaters had pockets in it so I added these to each end of my scarf.  This way I can keep my hands, as well as my neck, warm.  After attaching all of my rectangles together, I went around the edge of the whole scarf with my blanket stitch, changing colors about every 3rd block or so.  I was very pleased with the result.  You can mix and match a variety of patterns for a whimsical look!




No comments:

Post a Comment