Thought for the Day

Thought for the Day-
August 19, 2020
Uncontrollable events in our lives often come without warning. We don’t get a notice in the mail or a reminder on our phone. How we handle such situations depends impart on the magnitude of the uncertainty as well as our faith, character and personality. When the unexpected arrives, we need to remember that nothing takes our God by surprise. Possessing a patient spirit, know that our heavenly Father is victorious at all times, will help us to “let go and let God”.
Have a blessed day!
Cathy

Friday, January 13, 2012

Happy Hunting

        After doing my Bible study and completing a good workout this morning, I headed off to an estate sale. I usually avoid estate sales as they tend to be a bit pricey.  There were no garage sales listed in my area, so I decided to take my chance.  Shortly after walking in the door, I spotted a bin filled with brand new Vera Bradley cosmetic bags for $2.00.  I grabbed a few and, before I knew it, I had accumulated a stash of various treasures.  I only had $13.00 with me so I paid for my goodies, went home to get more cash and returned for a more detailed "hunt". Between my two visits I spent $26.00 and ended up with 3 Vera Bradley items, 5 books, a shelf, 2 Humco porcelain owl figurines, a brand new cover for my iphone 4, a Brighton tote bag, a brand new pair of Ralph Lauren socks, a Christmas area rug, a wool Christmas stocking, a pair of leather driving gloves,  2 sterling silver pins, 1 sterling silver pendant, 1 costume cocktail ring and a gold ring (I got it for 50 cents as it was on the verge of breaking).  I was not sure if the gold ring was real, but for 50 cents, it was worth the risk.  This little stop made for a great start for my day.  I went home and picked up some items that I had been meaning to take to a consignment store. They accepted all of the things that I brought in; which was a first for me.  I also picked up a check ($162.87) for the merchandise I had sold recently. I left the boutique with a smile on my face and a spiring in my step.  My next stop was the jewelry store. I had 3 items I was going to try and sell for scrap metal-a pair of sterling silver earrings  (purchased from a thrift store for $1.00), a broken sterling silver earring and the gold ring (purchased for 50 cents today).  The ring turned out to be 14 kt gold.  They gave me $55.00 for my 3 items.  Not bad for a $1.50 investment.  The result of my estate sale purchases and sales today was a $29.00 profit.  I still have a chance to make more money off of my mornings treasures as I will take them to either an auction or consignment. Resale rocks!





No comments:

Post a Comment